A year has flown by quickly! 2016 led me through some great adventures, trail running, trail races, and some fun in the kitchen trying new recipes. From running my first Ragnar Relay Trail Event, racing in the mountains of Colorado, to camping and canoeing in a Florida State Park, here is a round-up of my past year’s fun endeavors. Check them out and let me know if you’ve tried any of these!
Trail Running – Exploring New Trails
I love checking out new trail runs, both near my home in Florida, and when I travel to new areas. Here are a few of the trails I visited:
- Starkey Wilderness Park – my hometown trails!
- Croom trails in Withlacoochee State Forest
- Hillsborough River State Park
- Lake Rogers
- Guana River Wildlife Management Area
- North Shore on Lake Grapevine, Texas
- The South Mesa Trails in the Colorado Flatirons
Trail racing is a great way to test your running fitness while getting to check out some new trails at the same time! In 2016 I was able to race in two out of state trail races plus a few Florida favorites.
- Ragnar Relay Trail Alafia, Florida
- XTERRA Wildhorse
- Black Hawk Trail 10K
- The Claw 5 Miler
- The North Face Endurance Challenge Washington, DC
It’s fun to try something new in the outdoors! From climbing in the tree tops, to tubing down a crystal clear river, these are my 2016 Adventures.
- Tubing on Rainbow River
- Weekie Wachee Springs State Park – Home of the Mermaids!
- Camping in Hillsborough River State Park
- Westgate River Ranch Resort
- Tree-Umph Adventure Course
- U-Pick Blueberries at Starkey Blueberry Farm
- Indoor Climbing at Vertical Ventures
- Bison viewing at Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
These are my tried and true gear items. They are my go to items for trail running and other outdoor activites.
- Run Fast. Eat Slow. Nourishing Recipes for Athletes Cookbook
- Ruffwear Roamer Running Leash for Dogs
- Aeropress Coffee Press
- Esbit Portable Camping Stove
- CamelBak Dart Hydration Pack
Experimenting in the kitchen is a lot of fun! Here are some of my favorite recipes that I came up with this year. Most of them are portable to take along on the next adventure.
- Two Bite Apple Pies
- Homemade Fruit Roll Ups
- Blueberry Chia Jam
- Trail Cookies
- Chocolate Pecan Granola
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Grilled Hobo Packets
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Instant Asian Beef and Noodle Soup
- Vietnamese Iced Coffee
- Beet Blast Smoothie
- Raw Brownie Bites
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
I’m looking forward to another adventurous year in 2017! I have a few things already planned, but also am looking for inspiration for some new adventures. What are some of your favorite adventures? Share them in the comments!