Chicken Burrito Bowls are a delicious way to get Tex-Mex flavors all in one bowl! A Burrito Bowl is basically all the ingredients you could wrap up in a burrito. (Without having to actually wrap up a large tortilla and risk ripping and spilling your ingredients everywhere.) Layered in a bowl, a Burrito Bowl is a much easier way to eat a burrito. Plus, this would easily pack up in a container to take on a picnic (or to work for lunch). You can prepare the chicken and rice ahead of time for a meal that is quick to put together on a weeknight. I love the Tex-Mex flavors of lime, garlic, and cilantro. I’ve used them throughout the Burrito Bowl layers to give this bowl a Tex-Mex kick!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Prepare the chicken: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with cajun seasoning, then place in the skillet. Brown each side (about 3 minutes per side), then transfer to a baking sheet. Coat both sides of the chicken with a thin layer of barbecue sauce, then bake in the oven until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes (more if the chicken breasts are very thick). Once cooked, slice into thin strips.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Once it is finished cooking, stir in 1 Tbs olive oil, half of the lime juice, half of the cilantro, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 1 Tbs olive oil. Add the onions and peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and starting to get golden. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute, then add the other half of the lime juice, the cumin, and salt & pepper.
- Layer the bowls: Place a scoop of rice in the bottom of a serving bowl and flatten slightly. Add a layer of peppers and onions, a layer of sliced chicken, shredded lettuce, avocado, and a dollop of sour cream. Top with more chopped cilantro.
Want to receive my weekly adventures, tips, and recipes directly in your inbox? Subscribe here.