I recently went camping at Hillsborough River State Park. One of the best parts of packing for my trip was planning my campfire meal! Into our cooler I packed sausages and vegetable Hobo Packets. Hobo Packets are a great way to cook a complete meal on a grill or over an open flame. I have also made these at home, in the backyard over the grill. The kids love choosing their ingredients and filling up their packets themselves.
A Hobo Packet is simply a foil packet with any kind of veggies, meat, sauce, and seasonings sealed up inside. The trick is to cut all the ingredients small so that they can cook evenly. Some of our favorite vegetables are sliced onions, sliced bell peppers, and diced potatoes. Meats can be anything from diced chicken breast to ground beef or small steak cubes. Once you have your veggies and meat in the packet, you can get creative with the sauce and seasoning! Some of our favorite creations: buffalo style (Frank’s Hot Sauce and a pat of butter), Asian style (soy sauce, garlic, and ginger), and barbecue (cajun seasoning and barbecue sauce).
Once you have decided on your ingredients, lay out an 18″ – 24″ piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on a flat surface. Spray the center with some non-stick cooking spray, then place a layer of vegetables followed by your meat choice on top. Finish with a sprinkle of seasoning and a few tablespoons of sauce. To fold your packet, bring the long sides of the foil together in the center, and make a few folds to secure it (it will be slightly flattened on top of your ingredients, but still some room for air to circulate. Next, fold the short sides in towards the center to seal the packet up. You can chill these in a cooler or the refrigerator until you are ready to cook. Once your grill or campfire is ready, place the foil packet on a grate over the heat. Grill, flipping occasionally, for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the meat is cooked thoroughly and the vegetables are tender. To serve, place the foil packet on a plate and carefully open.
- Meat or Chicken, cut up into small 1 inch pieces
- Vegetables sliced thin or diced small
- Sauce (such as barbecue sauce, Frank's Red Hot, teriyaki)
- Heat charcoal for grill, or start campfire
- Place a 18"-24" piece of heavy duty foil on a flat surface
- Spray the foil with non-stick spray
- Place the veggies down on the foil
- Add 3-6 ounces of your meat of choice
- Top with 3 Tbs sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring the long sides of the foil up to meet in the center, fold down a few times to seal
- Fold the short sides in to close up the foil packet
- Keep cold until ready to cook
- Cook over a grill or campfire for about 20 - 25 minutes, until the meats are cooked through and the vegetables are tender.