I’m lucky to live in Florida, and have banana plants growing in my backyard! Every once in a while, I have several bunches of miniature bananas that are ripe and ready to eat. They ripen quick, so I usually have some for fresh eating, some to freeze for smoothies, and several to make one of my favorite treats: Coconut Banana Bread.
This recipe for Coconut Banana Bread uses both coconut oil and unsweetened shredded coconut to give the banana bread a subtle tropical flavor. It’s not overpowering, so it lets the banana flavor shine through, with just a hint of coconut.
The recipe is easy to mix up. You only need one bowl, a whisk, and a rubber scraper! It’s quick to throw together when you are looking for a simple treat. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, coconut oil, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla, making sure it is combine well.
- Gently stir in the flour, then fold in the coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake for 55 - 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack. Remove the banana bread from the pan.