As a teenager, I loved the instant cups of soup, especially the cup of ramen noodles. My teenage boys also love to have these for lunch or snacks. Because I love my Esbit Portable Camping Stove so much, (read my gear review here), I decided to create my own instant soup recipe. A homemade instant soup for on the go! I came up with a recipe for an Asian Beef and Noodle soup. Making this from scratch is a great way to jazz it up and avoid unnecessary preservatives. I used beef jerky to give this recipe portability. The soup base is from bouillon (I use the “Better Than Bouillon” brand). Fresh grated ginger and soy sauce add nice Asian flavors, and frozen peas offer some crunch. Instead of using the fried and dried ramen noodles, I chose thin angel hair pasta. I broke it into pieces so it would stay submerged better. After a soak in boiling water for 5 minutes, the angel hair pasta came out perfect! This is quick to prepare ahead of time, and can store in a container. When you are ready to eat, just add the boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes. Perfect instant noodle soup! This recipe would make a great starting point for lots of different flavor varieties!
- 1 tsp beef bouillon paste
- 1/8 tsp fresh grated ginger root
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1/8 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 oz teriyaki beef jerky, diced small
- 1 1/2 oz angel hair pasta, broken into 2 inch pieces
- 10 oz boiling water
- In a heatproof container, place the bouillon, grated ginger, and soy sauce in the bottom. Add the frozen peas, then the beef jerky, and finally the dry pasta. Store, tightly covered, until ready to prepare and eat (keep cold to prevent spoiling).
- When ready to prepare, bring 10 ounces of water to a boil. Add to the soup ingredients and stir. Cover, and let steep for 5 minutes.