Why Almond Flour?
Apple Cinnamon Muffins are my favorite homemade muffin. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins are made with almond flour as the base. I love making baked goods with almond flour! Almond flour adds a ton of nutrition to simple baked goods. The only ingredient in almond flour is ground, whole almonds with the skin removed. This flour is gluten-free, low in carbohydrates, high in fiber and a high source of protein.
I first made muffins from almond flour when I baked the Superhero Muffins from the “Run Fast. Eat Slow.” Cookbook. I loved the way they came out and knew I wanted to experiment with more recipes using almond flour. Almond flour can be a little pricey, but I was able to buy it in bulk at my local Bulk Nation store (they have lots of great ingredients there!). You can also purchase it on Amazon for a decent price.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins: The Recipe
These Apple Cinnamon Muffins are quick to make and are delicious as a breakfast or snack. Apples, cinnamon, and oats are one of my favorite combinations, and the walnuts give them a nice crunch. Mix these up for a weekend breakfast or for healthy snacks on the go!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbs butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Stir well with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and almond milk. Stir in the grated apple.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently to combine. Fold in the walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups, dividing evenly
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.