Most of us know that you need the proper fuel to have energy for a strenuous adventure. When it comes to trail running and racing, the fuel is even more important. Choosing the wrong thing to eat before a tough trail run can ruin your run. You might run out of energy and bonk, or worse, have an upset stomach and be running to the restrooms instead of racing the trails. I found a lot of tried and true foods to eat before a trail run, and one of my homemade goodies are my trail cookies. These are by far my favorite pre-race running fuel. They are easy to digest, taste great, and have powered me through some of my best feeling trail races. They are also quite delicious to enjoy anytime, cold glass of milk optional. Whip up a batch before your next trail running adventure!
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbs honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar together
- Stir in the remaining ingredients
- Form into tablespoon size balls, then place on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Gently press down on each ball to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, remove from oven, and cool.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container. They will last 3-4 days.